TI-30X Pro MathPrint - How does num-solve work?
02-18-2023, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2023 04:34 PM by wb.c.)
RE: TI-30X Pro MathPrint - How does num-solve work?
I’m actually quite familiar with the documents from the German TI site. They are made by a third party group called T3. I’m working on an updated English version of that very document right now, when it’s done I will share it. In any case. The TI doesn’t quite use the technique shown in their example. As I understand, most calculators use Newton’s method for approximating solutions. I did a lot of reading about this last night, basically a crash course on numerical analysis, but I think I figured out the behavior of the solver in this particular instance. It has to do with how the Newton method uses tangent lines to move closer to the point of intersection. Newton’s method had strange behavior around local extremum, which I believe is the reason for the outcomes tabulated. I need to manually solve this equation using Newton’s method to prove this, but it makes sense now.

https://computingskillset.com/solving-eq...ns-method/

This article does a good job explaining it I think.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TI-30X Pro MathPrint - How does num-solve work? - wb.c - 02-18-2023 04:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)