Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day?
08-21-2014, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 08:13 AM by Les Bell.)
RE: Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day?
(08-21-2014 06:01 AM)walter b Wrote:  Big Grin - I wasn't talking about those customers. Wink Think of insurances and banks instead: you may well get special rates when they already know your health data. Undecided But it's your decision anyway ...

The big concern with cloud computing is data sovereignty, i.e. the possibility that a foreign government might demand access to data stored within its borders or by a cloud service provider conducting business there. This is a big concern for corporate intellectual property and financial records, for example, but Dave's input/output analysis is unlikely to be a matter of national security.

Other concerns for enterprise users include BCP/DRP planning, whether they can get access to logs for incident analysis, data archiving and discovery, etc. For the individual user, the big issue is credential theft, e.g. by cookie sniffing, etc.

I've taken a look at how Google deals with these issues, e.g. by using an encrypted block filesystem with randomized file names, use of two-factor authentication and other controls, and I'm happy to store a considerable proportion of business data on their servers. I don't see any way in which an insurance company or bank could get access to Dave's data without engaging in some seriously criminal activity, any discovery of which would result in scandal, let alone significant legal penalties. It's a vanishingly improbable scenario.

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good tiny device for storing/summing up a few lists of numbers throughout the day? - Les Bell - 08-21-2014 08:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)