A skinnable phone/desktop 42S emulator (aside from Free42/Plus42)
10-22-2023, 02:08 AM
RE: A skinnable phone/desktop 42S emulator (aside from Free42/Plus42)
Thanks for the two responses. I did notice emu42 but I had a tough time just understanding its world, including not containing a ROM image, I didn't see the Mac represented (which is my desktop platform), I didn't see iOS represented (where I mostly want to use this), and the documentation was somewhat wanting (at least for skins). If the ROM image in question is indeed "untouchable" then I'd be stuck because I couldn't get the "E" functionality change I was after. Additionally, a fixed ROM image would mean other 42S tweaks/enhancements couldn't be made either. Thomas has done a superb job on his HP42S emulator and (I believe) has full control over all aspects of it without the ROM image constraints. Honestly, I'd be surprised if something better was out there.

Regarding forking the code - while I can surely write a "normal" computer program to do X and Y, I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a programmer for Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android like Thomas is. The whole open-source universe is just Greek to me. Additionally, in some discussions with him, I've had a peek into what he deals with as a programmer and I just don't have the requisite inclination or remaining life span to get there :-). I was hoping there might be another 42S developer out there that I could persuade to make my change, in exchange for the benefits my skin would provide to the developer by making the product more attractive.

Only because the question was asked - the desired change to the "E" button is that if you've pressed E and started entering your exponent then a subsequent E (before the number has been accepted) takes you back to the start of entering an exponent (i.e. it resets exponent entry). I've never actually knowingly pressed E a subsequent time after starting an exponent entry in my almost 50 years of HP calculator usage, nor have any of my colleagues. The real calculator just ignores all subsequent E presses i.e. you can do 1.2E34E5 and you'd get 1.2E345, but I'm looking to end up with 1.2E5. Thomas is adamantly sticking with the HP way because he believes in absolutely preserving the original HP DNA. I totally get that philosophy (and agree with it in general), however I had hoped that because subsequent E presses never made any sense (and also that nobody even does it) that an exception might be made as a viable trade-off for the benefits of the skin. I can't imagine users would even notice the change if it was ever implemented. I've tried my best to convince Thomas, but without success (indeed, I've had negative success), and hence my original post to find a potential new home for my skin. I'll live if such an app doesn't exist, no harm in asking though :-).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A skinnable phone/desktop 42S emulator (aside from Free42/Plus42) - MickM - 10-22-2023 02:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)