FPGA Based Open Calculator Platform
10-22-2023, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2023 02:52 PM by M0R33z.)
FPGA Based Open Calculator Platform
Hello all,

I am currently following Christophe's project (DB48X) regarding his RPL implementation on the DM42. I think the project is absolutely great and I look forward to each new version. Thanks Christophe.

Christophe and all those who develop things for HP calculators, especially the development of emulators are doing a great job. Also what Michael from SwissMicros is doing is absolutely fantastic.

Here's what I've been thinking for years and I've been discussing this with Christophe for the last few days. What if there is an open hardware calculator platform ? It should be similar in design to the HP48GX.

OCP - Open Calculator Platform

I imagine the following specifications:

- Metal case
- High-end keyboard (HP/SwissMicros)
- Low Power FPGA (Cores for HP 48 Saturn CPU, HP41, ...)
- IR / RS 232
- BT / WIFI
- MicroSD
- Flash Memory (a lot)
- Colour Disply (like HP Prime)
- sound
- and so on

I can imagine that the financing can be realised via crowdfunding (indiegogo, Kickstarter). And maybe produced by SwissMicros or even by HP itself.

With this hardware platform, we would then be able to implement any calculator (even TI :-) ), assuming the community supports the development of CORES.

Licences for ROM, here there might be support from HP for little money. But that is another topic for now.

Is this idea realistic?

Maurice
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
FPGA Based Open Calculator Platform - M0R33z - 10-22-2023 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)