Calculators you regret buying?
12-13-2023, 08:09 PM
RE: Calculators you regret buying?
I'm having a mental health crisis when it comes to reading this thread. I have fond memories of nearly all the calculators I owned over the years, which is very many indeed, but I have found one thing out. Every time I buy one to rekindle that memory I wonder how I liked the infernal thing and want to get rid of it nearly immediately. Instant regret every time.

This was apparent, and sorry to kick the RPL comments along further, when I bought a 50G a while ago to rekindle the 48G memories when I was doing my engineering degree. I found out that it was horrible to use, lagged out occasionally and completely missing stuff I needed. The thing that killed me were median and quartile functions for a list of values which is annoyingly missing from the core functionality. This took me hours of wound-salting level pain to kick out in RPL. This should not be a problem as I'm fairly well versed in Lisp and C. The big thing was within a few hours of me putting it down I couldn't remember how to use half of it again. So the first regret is the 50G. Because you have to bring your iPad with you so you can look at the manual every two minutes.

The second regret is the HP 35S which I had. This was one of the faulty ones that chewed up batteries in record time. It was always strategically dead when I needed it.

Anyway I dumped both of these on some poor masochist on eBay and bought an HP Prime which is mostly pretty excellent. As a dumb end user I haven't tried doing any programming on it really because it has the functions I need built in. The only problem is the thing, much like the 35S was, is almost always dead.

An earlier regret at school was the purchase of a Casio FX-4000P which had rubbery-ass buttons on it that never registered properly. And the plastic panel over the display kept falling off.

At some point I ended up with a TI-83 as well. Shifted 10^x key. Urgh. That really annoyed me.

I have a 15C Collectors Edition and a 32Sii to. I prefer the 15C for hammering out actual calculations. I may learn to regret the 32Sii yet - the fraction implementation is horrible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calculators you regret buying? - ijabbott - 12-10-2023, 09:59 AM
RE: Calculators you regret buying? - carey - 12-12-2023, 05:38 AM
RE: Calculators you regret buying? - Johnh - 12-11-2023, 03:28 AM
RE: Calculators you regret buying? - carey - 12-11-2023, 03:54 PM
RE: Calculators you regret buying? - ttw - 12-11-2023, 04:27 PM
RE: Calculators you regret buying? - cjsuk - 12-13-2023 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)