newRPL: How about dual soft menus?
09-09-2014, 10:58 AM
RE: newRPL: How about dual soft menus?
(09-08-2014 05:59 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Here's some food for thought about the UI for newRPL which is about to enter development phase. Feel free to comment.
Claudio

Some things that I think would make the 50g much more useful:
  • Pressing either shift key would change the soft menu to show the shifted menu function. Now each menu has 18 easily accessible functions. You can then ditch the NXT key. For VARS menu, NXT becomes a soft key
  • Useful USER mode: pressing USER displays a keyboard map showing the mapped key names. This might be possible only for the top several rows. I've actually worked on this. I call it virtual keyboard overlays.
These two changes are driven by the observation that the endless discussions about keyboard layout all boil down to people saying "I want my favorite function to be easily accessible" With 2000+(?) user functions, it's impossible to accomplish this without making the keyboard customizable. Even though there are lots of functions, the ones that any individual uses regularly are likely to be less than 100, which is easily doable. Even if they use more, an individual *problem* is likely to require only less than 100, so you could simply load a user keyboard for the problem domain (statistics, programming, hex numbers, calculus, etc.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: How about dual soft menus? - David Hayden - 09-09-2014 10:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)