HP 82162A printer HP-IL Transmit Err
03-17-2024, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 08:34 AM by SilverGreen93.)
RE: HP 82162A printer HP-IL Transmit Err
(03-17-2024 02:19 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Is the Printer Function Switch on the HP-IL module in the ENABLE position?

Good remakr, but yes it is. If it weren't, the print function would not be existing.

(03-17-2024 09:02 AM)MeindertKuipers Wrote:  Summarizing, you get the TRAMSIT ERR whenever the printer is in the HI-IL loop. Most likely this is an indication that the physical loop is somehow disturbed.
First test would be to check the electrical continuity of the IL loop and cables at the printer side with an Ohm meter, and if that is rougly the same as for the cassette drive. If that checks out good do the same for the loop's pulse transformer block of the printer (part identified with 9100-4226). This part is described in a document 82166-90020 HPILkitTech. Verify continuity of all transformer coils and connections.
If that checks out verify if all components between the pulse transformer and the HP-IL IC are functioning correctly.
I once had an issue with one of the transformer wires broken (of another HP-IL device) at the soldering joint, and resoldering solved the issue.

Good luck!

Oh, I was measuring the signal on the component side of the IL transformer... Now I measured on the connector side and there is indeed no signal at the output.

I measured with the ohm-meter the resistance of the coil and it is open, compared to the Tape drive on which it is about 1 ohm.

Initially on visual inspection it looked ok, but after touching the coil wire with a pointy needle the wire had immediately showed that is it not connected to the pin! What a coincidence! The same issue as on yours!

I could have not imagined that the coil wire could ever go loose. Might it have been a vibration problem from transporting the printer from one place to another?

I tried my best to solder back the (now much shorter) wire, and... surprise! The printer works!
Do you have any suggestion to make sure that it will stay there and not break loose again?
I am not certain I did a good job with the solder, because it was very hard to get it to grip and stay put. The measured resistance is 0.8ohm.

Here is a photo of the wire soldered back (the first pin on the left):
[Image: solder-coil.jpg]

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 82162A printer HP-IL Transmit Err - SilverGreen93 - 03-17-2024 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)