HP Prime Hardware (internal and external)
10-11-2014, 04:38 PM
RE: HP Prime Hardware (internal and external)
"Begging the question" implies that the answer is known (or in my case, assumed), as Han correctly inferred. Having seen the insides of quite a number of portable electronic devices, I have a pretty good idea of what RF shielding looks like: the NW280AA has none; the G8X92AA is practically a Faraday cage.

My conjecture is that h/p got its FCC and CE certification and launched the Prime in the US first, but Europe got targeted for the first of the education package (Prime, StreamSmart 410, Fourier Sensors, wireless kit). Then when the Europeans tried out the interconnectivity, someone noticed that there was interference and there was retesting, followed by some corporate fancy-footwork and the G8X92AA got promoted as the "wireless" graphing calculator with a €20 premium on price.

The h/p US tech-support crew did not even know about the SS410 and referred to "not supporting a discontinued product", presumably the old SS400. Then I found (on registration), that the US h/p database has an error in the part-number listing GBX92AA vs. the 'correct' G8X92AA.

Yet the plan (according to one tech person) is to roll out the "wireless" gear for the US holiday season.

All this seem strange considering that the "wireless kit" is a school, not personal item and what about the kids that have a NW280AA? Either there will be a 'software fix' to support the school environment (unlikely as the h/p advertising is clearly distinguishing the Primes) or there will be a quiet replacement plan (I would do this through the schools--"here Johnny, is your new calculator in exchange for you old one") or h/p will stonewall on the defect and fob off complaining customers with "there was an errata page in the package that says the calculator doesn't do what the package says it does."

We'll see if h/p still has "the right stuff" and offers anyone who needs one a replacement.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime Hardware (internal and external) - dbbotkin - 10-11-2014 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)