LIF File Types: HP 41, 71, 75, series 80
09-26-2014, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 07:54 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: LIF File Types: HP 41, 71, 75, series 80
Hi Michael,

I've found HPDir to work nicely with text file types, but have found little use for LIF binary files in the DOS file system. The exception is HP-71 ROM images which can be installed in the Emu71 emulators.

For 41/71/75 files you need look no further than the Museum's FTP site or Joe Horn's LIF-Disc Web Archive Project.

Since the LIF "General Purpose" Implementation Bytes are lost in the DOS file system I see no means of automatically restoring them when adding a file from DOS to a LIF image. Note that LIFUTIL prepends a LIF Header to a file when copying it to DOS to maintain the file date, file type, implementation bytes, etc when copying it back to a disc.

The best source of information for the HP-71 file types I've found is Appendix D of the HP-71 HP-IL Module Owner's Manual. Note that for HP-71 binary files the implementation bytes are the file size in nibbles.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: LIF File Types: HP 41, 71, 75, series 80 - Dave Frederickson - 09-26-2014 07:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)