HP35s output displays (apologies, another question)
10-09-2014, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 01:07 AM by Kyburo.)
RE: HP35s output displays (apologies, another question)
(10-08-2014 07:21 PM)Dieter Wrote:  do I really ask for too much if I expect students at university (!) to know that \(arcsin \frac{1}{2}\) is 30 degress or \(\pi/6\) and 0,5236 is the numeric value of this, and 1,5708 is recognized as \(\pi/2\) or 1,0472 as \(\pi/3\) ?-)

Lol, I think unfortunately that's probably a yes these days!

I was specifically instruted by my college math teacher to not waste time learning common trig functions and outputs, simply because the defacto UK calculators (casio textbook style) permitted in the exam do it for you, and that I should spend my time practicing integration/differentiation etc instead.

Until now I'd never even seen a response of Pi/6 in decimal form, and although it definitely seems reasonable, without knowing it I'd never have guessed it Tongue

Just like the internet, as tech improves, the push to learn certain facts/figures is instead directed at learning how to use a tool that figures it out for you! In some ways I definitely agree that it seems a sad state of affairs, but then again I suppose it depends on what else is added into the curriculums instead.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP35s output displays (apologies, another question) - Kyburo - 10-09-2014 01:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)