RCL IND IND: a solution in search of a problem?
12-19-2014, 12:40 PM
RE: RCL IND IND: a solution in search of a problem?
This may be a little off-topic, but you made me remember the Nova architecture from Data General, the first computers I worked with (not counting my HP-25) around 1979. As memory space was 64 KBy of 16-bit words, address lines were just 15. So the most significant (16th) address bit was used as an indirection flag. If you addressed a memory location whose address had "1" as the most significant bit (i.e.: in the range 8FFF to FFFF), the obtained data was to be taken as an address to another memory location where to find the data to be used... only that if the contents of such memory location had "1" as the most significant bit, it will be considered (again) as an address for an indirect operation, and so forth, allowing for a potentially infinite indirection chain.

As this description is just from old memories, it may be somehow inaccurate, so I apologize in advance for possible errors and also for idiomatic mistakes.

Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)

Please disregard idiomatic mistakes.
My posts are mostly from old memories, not from current research.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RCL IND IND: a solution in search of a problem? - Andres - 12-19-2014 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)