Prime lags after extensive processing
03-18-2015, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 08:31 AM by Angus.)
RE: Prime lags after extensive processing
hello cyrille,

I don't want to hijack the thread but since you asked and show interesst:

I understand that you decided that things are supposed to be easier for a student. I cannot share that, I cannot confirm that I cannot disclaim that...students would have to do. But only one thought. Especially teachers and people more into theoretical education often tend to have strange views.... ;-)

I will try to give a quick summary of confusion and discomfort. Could of course be more elaborate.

-Everybody gotten into contact with a computer related device is used to something like var:=value.

I will store two L-numbers.....
L:=42 //ok, of course
L1:=1 // Implied conversion of a one element list in home? in cas it is as expected

do in cas L2:=2. Type L2, result is 2 (L2(1) gives us the value right now. You just don't know it is already a list?)
go to home. type L2. result is {2}
go back to cas. type L2 result is now {2} aswell.
That is at least funny

//Why do you waste valueable names
Z1:=42 //I would not need complex numbers right now.
L1:=42 //I don't deal with lists right now, too...

Do you see my point? Having the built in Variable type-bound to their NAMES in addition to the intrinsic mechanism they still share is a waste of names.

I love the variable menu, though. Offering existing variables under their type is helpful. That does not need to have fixed names for types. Remember type() still works perfectkly for A,B;C, L1, Z1, M1....

-capital / non-capital Letters as default text entry

-Having the Apps require certain Names in their equations adds unnecassary confusion. You have added a kind of converter when you use a one Variable cas function in function app e.g. It seems to convert 'x' to 'X' or 'a' to 'X'.... Is the App capable of dealing with other variables than 'X' for independant variable? Something happens, but it is a black box.
See all questions about interaction of cas objects with hp apps... It is NOT clear to the people. Most people asking here are curious and interessted people. The students you mentioned only click on the buttons they were told to achieve a specific task. Believe me.
Why should I not be able to refer to an expression and define what name is the independant variable? Function App: plot( expr, [var] ).

-why not using a global variable pool? If a store under CAS A:="I want to fool my calculator", go to HOME and try to calculate sin(A) I would not be surprised to get an error...

-Because home variables are implied and set to zero if not defined you can easily do miscalculations. I wonder why the experts don't count that. especially if a uncertain, baffled stundent uses the calculator. If a variable is not defined a function might fail....but not imply 0.

edit:
Code:
We inherited this design,
Well, question is why and would you call that a good decision.
HP needs to remember that the prime is not supposed to be a beginner's level calculator like the 38 you mentioned. Why should it? You had one.... So adopting these concepts and not moving away from them is really not understandable for me. For a beginner's level device I cannot complain... but why did you feel like that was a beneficial decision for the prime. I still don't get it. It was there and was expanded - ok. But why hanging on that basis that causes more trouble than benefits. You seem to have had trouble with a smooth integration of all modules.
It is converting to the flagship. And that was in its name from the very beginning.

P.S. I appreciate you efforts. And I know from personal experience that sometimes things have just evolved the way they are. I even cannot say if a re-design would be possible or advisable. Probably not. :-( So only a bad managment decision to save time at the beginning you have to deal with. :-(
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prime lags after extensive processing - Angus - 03-18-2015 08:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)