Bit and / or Marcus: help setting up Ubuntu Linux for flashing with MySamBa
12-20-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: Bit and / or Marcus: help setting up Ubuntu Linux for flashing with MySamBa
I'm trying to configure a brand new Linux installation and am encountering problems similar to those I described here years ago. I don't recall all the details regarding how I made it work back then, but the snag I'm hitting involves either symlink creation or a device driver. I'm still using the same device, which continues to work on a virtual machine to program the calc, so I can easily compare that working system to the new system that isn't cooperating.

The original system that works is running Ubuntu Linux in a virtual machine. The problem is on the new one, I can't seem to create a symlink that points to the device I need:

As I understand it, wine requires a symlink (ttyUSB0) that points to .wine/dosdevices/com1.

/dev/ttyUSB0 does not exist in a brand new system, but I seem to recall that's what I needed to create so I can use the same USB to serial device I have been using all along.

On the system that works (the virtual Linux machine):

Code:
john@john-VirtualBox:~$ ls -l .wine/dosdevices/com1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john john 12 Mar 29  2015 .wine/dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
john@john-VirtualBox:~$

Looks good, and everything works. MySamBa and everything, all ok.

Now, I need to reproduce that symlink on the new system, but it's not working.

This is what I did to create it on the new system (not a virtual machine):

Code:
john@john-iMac:~$ sudo ln -s ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 /dev/ttyUSB0
[sudo] password for john: 
john@john-iMac:~$

Looks ok so far, but it's ignoring me:

Code:
john@john-iMac:~$ ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 john john 10 Dec 20 07:52 /home/john/.wine/dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyS0

You see how the working system is pointing to ttyUSB0 while the problematic one stubbornly points to ttyS0? The USB to serial converter won't work that way.

Here is an obvious clue, but I don't know what it means.

On the system that's working:

Code:
john@john-VirtualBox:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
ls: cannot access /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory
john@john-VirtualBox:~$

On the system that is not working:

Code:
john@john-iMac:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Dec 20 11:55 /dev/ttyUSB0 -> /home/john/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Obviously I created /dev/ttyUSB0 and it's owned by root, but on the system that is working, there is no /dev/ttyUSB0. That implies it shouldn't exist, not there anyway.

So I know what the symlink is supposed to look like, but I do not know how to properly create it.

What am I doing wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bit and / or Marcus: help setting up Ubuntu Linux for flashing with MySamBa - John Galt - 12-20-2019 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)