41C data collection memory
01-25-2014, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2014 11:10 PM by Garth Wilson.)
RE: 41C data collection memory
(01-25-2014 06:34 PM)davetheguru Wrote:  the 41 is a great calculator. I really liked the time module. I wish calculators, watches, etc would have incorporated it's accuracy factor technology to be more accurate (better than the 1 or 2 seconds a day most have). Indeed, I even wrote a control alarm program for my '48GX to emulate periodic correction to the time (but not as nice as the fine grain correction the time module would do).

After I got my HP-71, I wrote programs for it to do some of the time stuff that was already included onboard on the 41cx. (The 41cx has the time module built in, so it does not take up a port space.) It was a bit of a disappointment that the 71 didn't have as much there, but nice of course that it could still be done with user-supplied programs.

Quote:I don't recall modules for data collection for the 41C. Either I didn't know about them or they were beyond my budget. I could have had lots of fun collecting data with the '41C with it.

HPIL allowed it to be connected to loads of instruments for data acquisition and control. I bought my HPIL module with the Extended I/O module already built into it. The Extended Functions/Extended Memory module (which is already built into the 41cx, along with the time module, text editor, and a couple of other things you couldn't get on a 41c or cv) helped too. Then I got a combined double Extended Memory module. Extended memory works in files. Many modules made certain jobs easier that were already possible without them though. For example the first piece of equipment I ever interfaced my 41 to (besides the printer and tape drive) was the HP3421A data-acquisition unit for which there was an HP-41 module but I just looked up the 3421A commands in the manual and never bought the module. Later I interfaced the 41 to relay matrices, DMMs, signal generators, etc..

Quote:The 41C did not have a serial port for talking to other instruments (that I have). Yet the '48 and '50 do. So interfacing the '50 to the real world is not hard.

For the 41 to interface to RS-232, you use the HP82164A or FSI164A HPIL-to-RS232 interface converter. The latter came with two serial ports standard, and optionally up to eight, and of course HPIL allows lots of devices to be connected at once, meaning you could have even more if you wanted. I interfaced my 41 to IEEE-488 with the HP82169A HPIL-to-HPIB interface converter, and to parallel with the HP82165A HPIL-to-parallel interface converter. I'd say the 41 was way ahead of the 50 in real-world interfaceability.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
41C data collection memory - cruff - 12-12-2013, 03:54 AM
RE: 41C data collection memory - Garth Wilson - 01-25-2014 11:05 PM
RE: 41C data collection memory - Joe Horn - 01-26-2014, 04:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)