BEGIN Japanology Calculators
05-22-2015, 01:55 AM
RE: BEGIN Japanology Calculators
(05-15-2015 11:47 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Apologies if this has been posted before; I didn't see anything with a quick search.

Here's an interesting little documentary my wife found about the evolution of calculators in Japan. There's not really any HP representation here, but I don't think they had much of a Japanese presence. Casio gets a lot of screen time, though. The speed typists are pretty impressive, as is the build quality of the keyboard on whatever model they're using.

http://youtu.be/1_GVkR0SITo

Thanks for the interesting link Dave.

When I worked at Sharp doing handhelds, I had the pleasure to meet both of the Sharp pioneers featured in the video, Dr. Asada and Mr. Hashimoto, quite a few times. They both come off rather meek in the video, but both were brilliant, impressive, and very interesting gentlemen, yet also quite warm and willing to discuss history, engineering, etc. Until this video though, I had no idea of their exact contributions in the evolution of Sharp calculators. I continue to live and learn, even about things very close to home.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: BEGIN Japanology Calculators - Mark - 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM
RE: BEGIN Japanology Calculators - Mark - 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM
RE: BEGIN Japanology Calculators - rprosperi - 05-22-2015 01:55 AM
RE: BEGIN Japanology Calculators - Jlouis - 06-08-2015, 01:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)