CASIO CLASSWIZ fx-991SP X Iberia
07-30-2015, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2015 05:11 PM by jebem.)
CASIO CLASSWIZ fx-991SP X Iberia
I apologize to open a new thread, but I didn't wanted to hijack the other one related to the English market model (EX variant).

This is the Iberia variant (SP X) of the English version Classwiz fx-991E X calculator.

It appeared in the shops this month in Portugal with a retail price of 27 Euro.

The calculator is sold inside a blister package and it has the battery installed from factory.
It includes a hard cover and the user guides in 3 of the Iberia languages.
3 years warranty in Iberia.

Made in China. 575 Functions.

Menu languages:
This Iberia model supports 3 of the spoken languages in Iberia: Castellano, Català and Português.

Power supply:
I removed the LR44 coin cell to check it: 1.584Volt under no load.
Made in China. Expiration date 09/16.

So, this calculator appeared this month in the shops and it has 3 years of warranty, meaning that it will be protected until 07/2018.
However, the included battery will expire much before, in 09/2016.
How strange is this?

The calculator works nicely without the battery installed as long as there is enough light conditions to power the integrated solar panel.

[Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_001.jpg] [Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_002.jpg]

Good LCD featuring high resolution and easy reading.

[Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_003.jpg] [Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_005.jpg] [Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_006.jpg]

Full contrast to show the indicators.

[Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_004.jpg]

Single LR44 1.5Volt coin cell.
Six screws and the back cover pops out easily (no clamps).

[Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_007.jpg] [Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_008.jpg]

One single integrated circuit a few resistors and capacitors.
One large 22uF/6.3V capacitor is visible in the center of the PCB, used to store energy for about 10 seconds with the calculator running without batteries and without enough light to feed the solar panel.
Six large sized plastic rivets are used to fix the PCB against the keyboard assembly.

[Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_009.jpg]

The keyboard keys and membrane are visible here.
As usual, CASIO uses real good quality plastic keys.
This membrane/key engineering works nicely since more than 30 years ago.
It never miss to register a single key in this or another CASIO machine that I have tried.
It will not give us the satisfying mechanical and sound feedback like we get from the HP "clicking" keyboards, but for such a low cost calculator, CASIO did a excellent job IMHO.

[Image: Casio_Classwiz_fx-991SPX_010.jpg]

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
CASIO CLASSWIZ fx-991SP X Iberia - jebem - 07-30-2015 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)