Different blue HP 50g model variants
06-13-2017, 01:04 PM
RE: Different blue HP 50g model variants
(06-12-2017 06:09 PM)aurelio Wrote:  I've noticed only now this discussion and I'm surprised; I'm pretty sure that matthiaspaul fell in love with the blue HP50g, reading that he bought at least three of that ones, but I have been not able to find in this thread the pics requested from Bob to see personally the differences he was talking about in the starting post Smile
That's true. In fact, I shot some quick photos using a point-and-click, but while the difference in color easily stands out to the human eye, it was almost invisible in the resulting JPEGs, so I never uploaded the photos. In addition to automatic white balancing, these small cameras do all sorts of image post processing, and the blue color is probably interpreted and "optimized" as sky. #-|
I'd have to redo the photos properly using my DSLR in raw and without AWB...

Quote:I was used to think at the HP calculators as the the best tools for calculations "beasts for crunching numbers" somebody else could say, but I could not imagine they could be one day more similar to a toy.. Smile
I was a bit afraid of that as well, but then thought I would give it a try given that I have difficulties reading the labelling on the black 50g in dim light or the discontinuous spectrum of compact fluorescent lamps. For me, the blue labelling is significantly easier to read, making it more fun to work with the calculator. Off the two blue colorsets, I prefer the slightly darker ultramarine over the cyan version.

Yes, the 50g looks a bit cheap or toyish in general, but this is down to its feminine form, not the colorset. That design language doesn't make sense in a calculator IMO. If I'd a choice I would have preferred a 50g looking more like a 48G, a Prime (in the new color variant), or a DM42 (with larger labels) - even if it would cost more.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Different blue HP 50g model variants - matthiaspaul - 06-13-2017 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)