newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
03-01-2017, 01:05 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
Regarding the keycodes, I have 2 comments:

a. VTile's comment is a good one. Platform independence would certainly be easier using keyboard mapping by position, rather than what is printed on the labels.

b. In many cases, newRPL has deviated from compatibility with RPL, but in every case I recall, there was some real benefit from the deviation, which justifies doing so (at least IMHO, there are no doubt folks here that want it 100% compatible, but then what's the point?).

Maybe I'm not following the discussion properly and don't have the right context, but it seems to me that the rc.p key code system that has been used in RPL forever should be retained, as the proposed string-based scheme is new, different, has no advantages, and is not compatible. Keep in mind too, that even if a couple folks here have not ever needed to use the numeric standard in the past it does not mean that no one uses it.

Claudio - you stated that the old-style key codes are hard to remember; I have to disagree as the point is you don't have to remember them at all, they are self-documenting by declaring their location in the key code itself. And while which plane is 1, 2, 3, etc. is not always memorized, it's no harder than the alphabet soup proposed, which in any case is mnemonic for English only.

Change for some benefit makes sense, but with none (that I see), it seems compatibility should be favored.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED February 21-2017] Firmware for testing available for download - rprosperi - 03-01-2017 01:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)