HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
07-05-2022, 10:46 AM
RE: HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available
(07-05-2022 10:28 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 08:38 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  My recommendation isn't specific to my use case as it's simple enough to trigger the 2CMP command. But I'm thinking of others that try out the 16C simulator for the first time, and in that use case, I think it's important that the defaults provide as friendly and familiar a user experience as possible. Most calculators that offer base conversions default to 2's complement mode for this reason (in fact, the majority are nowhere near as sophisticated as the 16C and the user cannot configure the complement setting so it's permanently in 2's complement mode).

I actually agree, but as far as I know the default setting on the real HP-16C is also unsigned mode. Is that not so? I thought I had read that somewhere in the manual...

HP-16C Computer Scientist OWNER’S HANDBOOK

Complement Modes and Unsigned Mode (p.29)
Quote:The HP-16C provides three conventions for representing numbers: 1's Complement mode, 2’s Complement mode, and Unsigned mode.
The 2’s Complement mode is the default mode when the calculator is first turned on or after Continuous Memory is reset.
Once a mode is set, it remains in effect until you change it or until Continuous Memory is reset.
(All examples in this handbook use 2’s Complement unless otherwise indicated.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41: New HP-16C Emulator available - Sylvain Cote - 07-05-2022 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)