Bug in fsolve()?
09-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Bug in fsolve()?
Hello, I got my new HP Prime yesterday. It is my first graphing calculaor and I love it. But I think I found a bug in tha CAS using fsolve().
I posted this issue on another forum yet, but it seems there aren't that much active users. So I found this place here.
I wanted to look for the limits of the calculator and typed in some pointless stuff.
What I endet up was:
fsolve(SIN(x)=0.05*x+1,x,(-50)..50)
= -39.5 -38.9 -33.8.........
This line seems to work fine and it shows me all the intersections.

If I enter this line there are some missing.
fsolve(SIN(x)=0.05*x+1,x,(-200)..100)
= -33.8........

But if I keep increaseing the range some of the missing intersections do appear again.
fsolve(SIN(x)=0.05*x+1,x,(-200)..200)
= -39.5 -38.9 -33.8.......

So some results seem to disappear. The calculator does not set any limits to the range.
Might this could be fixed pretty easily. I guss using the programming feature it would be possible to write a programm which splits the entered range in small parts and does the fsolve() function for with those parts. Maybe it should check how many results there are in one of those parts and make even smaller parts if there are too much. I already tried to do something like this but somehow I did not got the fsolve() function running. Are all of the CAS features supported in the programming editor?
Is there a certain way how to enter them?

Hopefully someone can help me out. I am used to program microcontrollers in assembler or C. So I hope my idea isn't totally unrealistic but I have no experience in HP PPL yet. Sorry if my english skills are not that perfect. It is not my native language.

Greetings
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Bug in fsolve()? - MrMcChicken - 09-09-2015 09:28 AM
RE: Bug in fsolve()? - Helge Gabert - 09-09-2015, 03:32 PM
RE: Bug in fsolve()? - Tim Wessman - 09-09-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Bug in fsolve()? - MrMcChicken - 09-10-2015, 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)