The star on the HP-15C's display screen
09-28-2015, 03:21 PM
RE: The star on the HP-15C's display screen
(09-28-2015 02:56 PM)Dave Shaffer Wrote:  Try loading your water pistol with salt water and then squirting into a 120 VAC socket! Makes a wonderful arc until the circuit breaker blows. Tried only in the bathroom of the men's dorm when I was in college (many(!) years ago).

I'm guessing most of us here tried stuff like this at some time or another.

In grade school, I wanted to listen to the World Series Baseball Game during class. I used a small crystal radio that required an antenna to work properly. I had already done this at home, so thought no problem doing it in class. I sat in the back of the room next to an electrical outlet. If the antenna clip was attached to the ground side of a two wire outlet, it worked as a wonderful antenna. Unfortunately, I connected to the hot side of the outlet, which grounded out through the clip to the metal outlet cover plate. What a beautiful spark and pop. The clip melted and then disconnected. I don't know if it tripped fuse/breaker or not. Fortunately, the teacher never noticed anything amiss.

The fun days of learning how stuff worked (and don't work) just by trying it.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The star on the HP-15C's display screen - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 09-28-2015 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)