Standardisation of Maths Teaching: 5*3 != 3*5 ?
10-29-2015, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 01:39 PM by Vtile.)
RE: Standardisation of Maths Teaching: 5*3 != 3*5 ?
(10-29-2015 12:15 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(10-28-2015 05:09 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  at university I was always amazed at how badly an exam question may be written

My story:
I was a mechanical engineer student and we was on a Control Theory practice (measurement). The topic was "fitting functions - regression".

The teacher asks us what kind of function we can fit onto two points? All people says "linear". The teacher: "...and onto three points?" Silence, nobody says... Then I said: "Miss, a GOOD engineer can fit ANY kind of function onto THREE points..."
Big Grin

Csaba
Isn't that the case with the two points also.. Big Grin
I must agree that there is just too much teachers who "preach for the bread" not for the passion of teaching and giving students the broader view of the subject in hand at the form of "side stories" even if the resources wouldn't allow the deeper teaching of the subject. I also have this head between my ears which always screams "But why?" and 95% of times I do not get the answer, which place the information given to map "Unsorted" and they tend to bury there for good as other "unsorted" stuff is piled top of it coupled with heavily visual memory over the conceptual makes many subjects involving maths not really a favorite of mine.

Also the exam questions, *meh*.

I think this is a universal problem or challenge as it is said these days.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Standardisation of Maths Teaching: 5*3 != 3*5 ? - Vtile - 10-29-2015 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)