Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc
03-27-2016, 01:30 AM
RE: Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc
The HP palmtops will run lots of different compilers and IDEs. I've got TurboC on my 200LX, and I've written a few assorted programs with it (some useful, some less so), and it'll compile native DOS .exe files. You can also run various forms of BASIC: QuickBasic, GW-BASIC, etc. I believe the 95LX will handle most of that as well, but anything bigger than GW-BASIC would be a tight fit without a big storage card that will work with the 95LX.

The Tandy Model 100 is cool, but pretty bulky, and doesn't have anywhere near as much memory as even a 95LX. It does have a nice big keyboard, though, and the capabilities are pretty much on par with GW-BASIC.

The Psion II is neat, but pretty clumsy to type on. Also, the version of OPL in the 3 or 5 series is a lot more mature.

Honestly, I'd recommend that you look at getting either an iPod Touch or iPad Mini with a bluetooth keyboard, and download Pythonista from the app store (which I think costs somewhere around $10). It's a really great Python 2.7 IDE that you can rig up to sync your source files with Dropbox. Python is a lot nicer to work with than BASIC or C for knocking out programs quickly, and also has a lot more object-oriented capabilities than either of those launguages. To put it in perspective, I once wrote a program directly on my iPhone to solve one of those little triangular peg jump solitaire games, without a bluetooth keyboard, entirely during a family dinner gathering, so it's really great for doing that kind of ad-hoc tinkering.

There may be an older DOS version of Python you could try running on the 95LX, but I have no idea how it would compare to current versions.

The advantage to using Python is that it's extremely popular in both desktop and server environments these days.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc - Dave Britten - 03-27-2016 01:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)