Generating Constants in TI-57 ROM
06-06-2016, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 04:55 AM by HrastProgrammer.)
RE: Generating Constants in TI-57 ROM
(06-05-2016 03:22 PM)Mark Wrote:  I remember having done some calculations in assembly on a Pentium 100, and being absolutely amazed by its throughput : "I've got a Cray on my desk !". And today's processors are so powerful that I can't help cursing Windows (when I cannot use other OSes) for wasting so much resources -but that's another story...

Windows are no better or worse than other OS-es out there - they all need tons of memory and CPU, and they all need too much time to boot. Embedded systems tend to be crap nowadays as well - my dumb TV needs 15 seconds to boot, like in the good old age of vacuum tubes and even then they didn't need 15 seconds. When I turn on a crappy dumbhone it needs one minute to boot! One minute! Total piece of crap ...

But, crappy applications are perhaps a much bigger problem than OS itself. The Firefox I am using at this very moment eats 300 MB! 300 MB for what?!? For one simple Web page?!? Not to speak about various crappy drivers (mostly for the new hardware) etc.

If you remove all unnecessary applications, drivers, services and similar crap, Windows (at least Windows XP and Windows 7) can be make very responsive and almost real-time. I have two fully optimized 4.4GHz quad-core systems which I use for making music and all DSP endeavours (one Windows 32-bit and one Windows 7 64-bit) and I can use almost 100% of each core at lowest possible latency without glitches. But one must know what he is doing when making such optimizations.

Just an addition to my previous posts: I am very often using "assembler" instead of "machine language" which is incorrect because assembler is not really a language but a tool to translate source code into machine language. I just used to say "assembler" when I mean "machine language" ...

https://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwood/
https://hrastprogrammer.bandcamp.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Generating Constants in TI-57 ROM - HrastProgrammer - 06-06-2016 04:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)