World's earliest computers restored to their prime
06-18-2016, 12:04 AM
RE: World's earliest computers restored to their prime
(06-17-2016 11:10 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(06-17-2016 07:24 PM)Dieter Wrote:  Hey, it's a digital world today so we should talk about digital computers. So when I read about "world's earliest computers" I admit I had something like this Z3 in mind. Made by Konrad Zuse himself.

Dieter

Thanks for posting this Dieter, I have been looking for info about this after seeing some references to it in other reading (I am fascinated with German WWII technology, mostly Luftwaffe and Armor). I believe I saw it when I visited the Deutsches Museum in the 80's, but there was very little English information posted at the time.

Curious to read what happened post-war, and how it compares with the "first" digital computers in the 50's.

If you are interested in Zuse's work, his book "The Computer My Life" is an interesting read especially the part from the time he started to construct Z1 in his parent's living room to them hualing Z4 from Berlin to Gottingen and then with some of Wernher von Braun's team, who where fleeing Peenemunde, to southern Germany.

Another interesting book is "Early British Computers" from the Digital Press (as in Digital Equipment) History of computing series which touches on Colossus designed to help decipher messages from the more complicated Geheimschrieber used by the German high command. The Manchester Mark 1 arguably the first stored program computer, LEO the machine constructed for the Lyons Tea Shop company, the first commercial computer installation, and many more.

Two great books about IBM computers are "IBM's Early Computers" and "IBM's 360 and Early 370 Systems" both from MIT press.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: World's earliest computers restored to their prime - Paul Berger (Canada) - 06-18-2016 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)