Has anyone used Visual Studio on a 32 GB or 64 GB laptop?
11-10-2016, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 09:14 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
RE: Has anyone used Visual Studio on a 32 GB laptop?
(11-09-2016 11:07 PM)Vtile Wrote:  I still would try out the FPC&Lazarus. Costs nothing (1gb download) and you get full pro grade selfcompiling RAD with pretty hefty basic libraries included. Big boys have also told that it do have support for inline ASM and support for C libraries atleast on some form. It is not same as Pascal at 70s... Wink

That is if thes VS in not a must to have for some reason.
FreePascal is as far as I know. Fully TurboPascal7 and Most parts compatible with Delphi up to IDK pretty late versions. Lazarus is the IDE with components libraries etc. FPC is selfcompiling and Lazarus is fully written in FPC.

I noticed you did mention some old BASIC listings in another topic. If you are after a BASIC environment I would take a look of FreeBASIC project, I only know it di ecist and have been around atleast ten years now.

The key advantage of VS is that it is Microsoft and it is standard - many jobs ask for Microsoft Visual Studio experience. There are several languages available.

The key disadvantages are that it is resource-expensive (hence my query about whether it would install and be usable on the laptop) and that it has to be downloaded (which will be expensive, if not impractical).

To my mind, the main alternative would be the Raspberry Pi, which has several compilers pre-installed on a 8 GB SD card - avoiding the inconvenience of a download. It is less expensive, but is lacks the all-in-one packaging and portability of a laptop and is not available on the high street.

Or the HP Prime PPL, which is not as popular as C or Java or Python, but can be emulated on a phone and is pocketable - usable in places I wouldn't use a laptop, cheap and convenient....but very few jobs ask for HP PPL experience.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Has anyone used Visual Studio on a 32 GB laptop? - StephenG1CMZ - 11-10-2016 12:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)