VC state save
09-23-2016, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2016 10:34 PM by ebswift.)
VC state save
This is on the 0829 version on Win10, I had an interesting experience between yesterday and now. Using the VC I pushed some formulas into sheets and I am *certain* I backed up the calc image. The cloud backup had a worryingly earlier timestamp than expected as if a backup hadn't saved; that is a little beside the point unless I can reproduce it some time. I went to bed leaving the VC open, and put the computer to sleep, and sometime during the night the PC shut itself off for whatever reason, so this morning was a cold start. When I re-opened the VC the latest formulas I entered were all gone, thankfully only one of them that took a lot of research to enter (EDIT: woah, actually several now that I am going back over my work). I did a small experiment, I made a change in a sheet, closed the VC, then re-opened it, and my changes stuck.

Given the above, I tried a little experiment, I entered a number into a cell (pressing enter to make it stick), then using task manager I killed the VC. When I re-opened it the new number was gone. On subsequent attempts, the number stuck consistently when I killed the process. So, it's like the VC gets to a state where its memory does not stick.

A controlled close of the program probably ensures the state gets saved, I will be closing and opening it more often now that I'm a little paranoid about the state save.

EDIT:

I watched the google sync behaviour, doing some editing on the VC. I closed the VC, there was no change to the filesystem in \My Documents\HP Connectivity Kit\Calculators\VC HP Prime. Then, upon opening the VC again the sync cranks up, the changes must be cached until the next open, then written back to the calc's folder, potentially leaving them in limbo if the PC crashes (?). Anyway, the open/close process will keep my work safe for the time being.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
VC state save - ebswift - 09-23-2016 09:19 PM
RE: VC state save - Arno K - 09-23-2016, 10:36 PM
RE: VC state save - ebswift - 09-23-2016, 10:40 PM
RE: VC state save - Arno K - 09-23-2016, 11:12 PM
RE: VC state save - ebswift - 09-23-2016, 11:43 PM
RE: VC state save - ebswift - 09-23-2016, 11:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)