How do I load a LIF into EMU71/WIn?
06-14-2020, 01:13 PM
RE: How do I load a LIF into EMU71/WIn?
Connecting PIL-BOX to EMU71 to share a drive - WIN10.

This all started with a desire to get the content of the CMTTOOLS onto a 71B and test if an EPROM was deleted properly before even thinking of burning new content on it.

The CMTTOOLS ROM I have a copy off, are:

CMTTOOLS.LIF
CMTTOOLS.BIN

the BIN is an image for the amazing EMU71B (thanks to Christoph and JF for making this possible and available!!)

The LIF-Image is - well - a "Floppy" with 2 files - CMTTOOLS as ROM and ROMPCOPY as a LEX

With the CMTTOOLS as a ROM image, I can't seem to be able to do much other than to copy it somewhere else, it won't do much once copied. (Maybe I can be corrected here - I am ready for that)

BUT I can mount the BIN image into a :PORT(x) on the EMu71 and see the content files in the ROM.

I can also see that the files are less than 3K in total, so it does not take a full 32K ROM-Image to get my hands on the files, which I plan to add to an EPROM to be burned in the near future

This is the list in the ROM-Image CAT :PORT(2)

- CLONE BAS
- EPRMSTWR LEX
- EPRMCOPY LEX
- TEST32KE LEX
- TEST64KE LEX

So now I start thinking about adding these 5 files to the LIF Image to move them to the 71B.

I follow the directions below and my head starts spinning. The EMU71 will NOT connect to the IL, no matter what I do. I even learned a thing or two about firewalls...

A couple of repeats to no avail and a bit later it dawns on me - COM4 and TCP/IP in ILPer [PIL-Box Link] is NOT the same thing.

So here goes...

You can't have BOTH COM4 and TCP/IP at the same time in ILPER, you have to swap between one or the other. (again here, I am open for a change of headset).

So COM4 is for the physical loop with the PIL-BOX and TCP/IP is for the emulated EMU71 "loop".

You can work on the same file - LIF in this case - but NOT at the same time

/Kim

(10-18-2016 04:17 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Matti,

Here is the procedure to transfer a file from a LIF file on a PC to the HP-71B
Setup #1: [HP-71B] <-> [HP-IL] <-> [PIL-Box] <-> [USB] <-> [Windows] <-> [ILPER.EXE] <-> [LIF-File]
  • Plug the PIL-Box on the USB port
  • Start the "Device Manager", under "Ports (COM & LPT)", find the "USB Serial Port (COM?)" port associated with your PIL-Box
  • Start the "ILPER.EXE" application
    • In "PIL-Box Link" select the COM port associated with your PIL-Box
    • In "Drive HP9114B", press the "..." button right of the text field
    • In "Open" dialog box, select your LIF file then press "Open"
    • you should see the LIF filename you just selected in the "Drive 9114B" text box
    • Press the "Start" button on the right
  • Connect your HP-71B to the HP-IL side of the PIL-Box
  • On your HP-71B ...
    • Power on
    • To activate the HP-IL interface, type: RESTORE IO [ENDLINE]
    • To reset the interface (optional), type: RESET HPIL [ENDLINE]
    • To list the content of the LIF file, type: CAT :MASSMEM [ENDLINE]
    • To copy the file, type: COPY filename-in-lif:MASSMEM TO filename-in-71b [ENDLINE]

Here is the procedure to transfer a file from an HP-IL mass storage to the Emu71 on your PC
Setup #2: [HP-82161A or HP-9114A or HP-9114B] <-> [HP-IL] <-> [PIL-Box] <-> [USB] <-> [Windows] <-> [ILPILBOX.EXE] <-> [TCP/IP] <-> [EMU71.EXE]
  • Plug the PIL-Box on the USB port
  • Connect your physical mass storage to the HP-IL side of the PIL-Box
  • Start the "Device Manager", under "Ports (COM & LPT)", find the "USB Serial Port (COM?)" port associated with your PIL-Box
  • Start the "ILPILBOX.EXE" application
    • In "PIL-Box Link", select the COM port associated with your PIL-Box
    • In "Out TCP/IP Address:", enter: localhost
    • In "Out Port:", enter: 60001
    • In "In Port:", enter: 60000
    • Press the "Start" button on the right
  • Start the "EMU71.EXE" application
    • Menu "Edit", select sub-menu "Port Configuration..."
    • In the "Port" box, select "Port0" on the right side then press "Add" button
    • In the "Configuration" box, select "HPIL" in module type, then press the "..." button under "Filename:"
    • In "Open" dialog box, select the HPIL.BIN ROM file then press "Open" to go back to the "Port Configuration..." dialog
    • In the "Configuration" box, press "Configure" push button in TCP/IP Configuration
    • In "HP-IL Interface Setup" dialog box
      • In "Out TCP/IP Address:", enter: localhost
      • In "Out Port:", enter: 60000
      • In "In Port:", enter: 60001
      • Press the "OK" button on the bottom
    • In the "Port" box, press the "Apply" button
    • Press the "OK" button at the bottom of "Port Configuration..." dialog
  • On Emu71 ...
    • Power on
    • To activate the HP-IL interface, type: RESTORE IO [ENDLINE]
    • To reset the interface (optional), type: RESET HPIL [ENDLINE]
    • To list the content of the LIF file, type: CAT :MASSMEM [ENDLINE]
    • To copy the file, type: COPY filename-in-lif:MASSMEM TO filename-in-Emu71 [ENDLINE]

Sylvain

edit: add setup#2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I load a LIF into EMU71/WIn? - KimH - 06-14-2020 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)