HP-41 GPS Module - True or fiction?
11-08-2016, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 12:59 PM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: HP-41 GPS Module - True or fiction?
(11-07-2016 10:53 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Back in the 80's, a number of HP calc fans, myself included, used to gather late in the evening in the Ateneo de Madrid building, to show off our 41's and new synthetics and such to one another, and discuss anything and everything HP-calc related.

Ah the Ateneo... I was there just a few weeks ago reminiscing about the good 'ol days ;-) Unfortunately not back when you saw that black swan!

(11-07-2016 10:53 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Among those people there were some that worked at HP and/or had some insight as to new products, modules, etc., and lo and behold, at one of those gatherings someone wished to show us all an HP-41C fitted with a beta GPS ROM module.

We gasped in amazement and tried it, watching the coordinates in the display and even considering taking it for a short walk to see the display change accordingly and such. Everyone was quite impressed though it would lose the signal at times and required careful positioning within the Ateneo for optimum signal reception.

If it weren't coming from you I would think this to be a belated April's 1st. (or an early December's 28th ;-) joke, but I fully acknowledge the veracity of your report. Wow! I'd guess that was a Corvallis prototype and not a local variety, but it's uncanny it never got sighted or reported elsewhere.

(11-07-2016 10:53 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Perhaps it was some elaborate joke but I don't think so, no one seemed to be making any lame attempt at humour and the fact that it was an experimental, beta product with still many rough edges was made perfectly clear.

Perhaps it existed but was never released and eventually abandoned. Anyway, I saw it that one time, and never again...

Maybe the issue was related to accuracy or signal stability. I'd imagine there could have been issues with the circuitry used back then, but still it's a wonder that it would have fit into the reduced constrains of a 41 module.

Honestly I don't see how this is not eliciting more interest amongst the forum readers - it's got to be relatively simple to develop and the idea is hands-down superb...

Best wishes,
Ángel

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41 GPS Module - True or fiction? - Ángel Martin - 11-08-2016 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)