Upcoming Public Beta - Win/Mac/Apps
12-16-2016, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 09:29 PM by matthiaspaul.)
RE: Upcoming Public Beta - Win/Mac/Apps
(11-23-2016 02:33 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Previously, the virtual calculator you've been using has been an older version based on a Microsoft specific development system called MFC. That has not been the "encouraged" development system for quite some time now for windows software. The new version is written using QT, which is an open source development system that enables easier multi-platform support. This is the same tool used for the current Connectivity Kit. We waited to release the new virtual calculator until after we also had the ability to support additional platforms.
I know that not many resources can be thrown at this, but with MFC dependencies being removed, are there any chances to support Windows XP and/or Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (which is supported by Microsoft up to 2019) again - prehaps at least as an "unsupported option" after specifying some /ignoreversion command line switch? Some people cannot upgrade to newer versions of Windows, f.e. due to a lack of drivers for older but essential peripherals, and consequently, they are bound to the buggy #6975 (2014-12-15) version, IIRC the last version that would be supported on XP.

Personally, I always consider it a sign of programming excellence, if a program works on any version of an operating system which supports (or can be made to support with some effort) the necessary core functionality.

I might miss something, but right now I don't see the VC/CK using any core functionality which could not be provided by these earlier systems with limited effort. Qt still seems to support Windows XP. Perhaps only a few easy special cases would be necessary to make it work again. From the viewpoint of software regression testing it might also make sense to stress test a piece of software under as many and as diverse platforms as possible...

Thanks for consideration.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Upcoming Public Beta - Win/Mac/Apps - matthiaspaul - 12-16-2016 09:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)