Leaving original user input in verbatim on CL after execution... any ideas?
02-03-2017, 05:36 PM
RE: Leaving original user input in verbatim on CL after execution... any ideas?
Note that I've retitled the thread, as this issue is more of a feature request than a bug in ENG number format handling; I'll close this and start a new thread if appropriate.

I'm ultimately aiming to be able to type in an expression on the Command Line, press [ENTER] to execute the command, and have my original input remain on the CL in verbatim so that I can interpret and tweak it easily as needed.

To recap the use-case I've described earlier, when I'm writing input entirely in ENGINEERING number formatting (220E-9, for instance) on the CL, once I hit [ENTER] to execute the command, my original input disappears, any numbers that I've written inside that expression are interpreted as exact numbers or rationals where possible, and displayed in History according to the current Number Format settings; however, since numbers were reinterpreted as exacts, once copied back to the CL for further editing they appear in Standard number formatting (0.00000022) for editing. As a human that thinks in Engineering number formatting, the interpreted expression that Prime prefers is treacherous for me to interpret and edit since I have to count out each 0 to get an idea of magnitude.

So for options I can see:
  1. I'm hoping there's just a setting buried somewhere to simply leave the entry on the CL untouched after pressing [ENTER]... this would be ideal
  2. Use the clipboard: Select ALL, Copy, [ENTER], Paste
  3. Take advantage of the QUOTE() function to grab the CL contents, drop them into a local variable, execute the contents, and then dump the variable back out on the CL.

If the last two options are the only route, I'd like to at minimum map them to [ENTER] as a userkey... but I'm not sure how much power I have to manipulate the clipboard or manipulate the CL from that script. Undecided Any tips?

-Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leaving original user input in verbatim on CL after execution... any ideas? - tastyelectron - 02-03-2017 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)