Best scientific (not programmable, not producing plots) calculator in your opinion.
04-08-2017, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 10:29 AM by pier4r.)
Best scientific (not programmable, not producing plots) calculator in your opinion.
I do feel that the topic may be recurring, but I did not find it with a quick look at the previous pages in this section.

So there are plenty of discussions about this or that HP calculator (or Ti, Casio, sharp, otherbrandsthatIdontknow) that is also programmable and/or is able to produce plots.

But what about simpler, but still useful, calculator that provides a set of functions but it is not programmable nor usable for plots?

For example I bought in high school (so, 15+ years ago) a sharp el520w (1) , it was just amazing, I could do a lot with it (given that I developed properly the formulas to solve the problem). Then it got stolen, because I assumed that leaving it on the desk at school would have been fine, since few cared about Math in school.

Then I found, by chance, a Ti (don't remember the version) from my father. Unused for tens of years. It was very similar to the sharp el520w in terms of functions. Unfortunately once fell from the desk and trying to repairing it I broke everything, the keys completely fell down and I could not put it back. I was quite sad (my father was not with the family anymore).

Then I bought the sharp el506w that is with me since at least 10 years. It is amazing as the el520w, although I discovered it has some functions less (for example less variables). Then, aside from programmable calculators, I did look in shops about scientific calculators but without taking care of the differences of various models.

Anyway, since the el 506 w is suitable for a lot of needs where the 50g may be an overkill, I was wondering if here there is someone with more experience about scientific calculators that can tell which one is the finest model. (Well "best or finest" should be well defined, but let's say: calculators that helps you in a not cumbersome way in a lot of situations for math related problems)

If I have to look with my limited knowledge I would look at calculators similar to the el506w (strong points: formula memory, solver, matrix and vector calculations, although limited in size, numeric integrals), so:
- sharp 506 family, then the 531 family. (actually they miss the ability to store formulas, both families. Mine, from 3 generations back, has that ability).
- casio, the 991 or 570 families seems the most complete.
- Ti, the 36 family should be the best one.
- HP, no idea. Is there a non programmable calculator?

Looking at the specifications the models from casio/sharp/ti looks pretty much the same. Aside from HP I do not know any other worldwide manufacturer .

(1) Note that sharp models keep the same number but get updated from time to time.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Best scientific (not programmable, not producing plots) calculator in your opinion. - pier4r - 04-08-2017 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)