math&calcs book 4 kids, any suggestions?
05-09-2017, 05:21 PM
RE: math&calcs book 4 kids, any suggestions?
The last of my trifecta of books for young people is George Gamow's One,Two,Three...Infinity from the early 60's. Gamow was an outstanding physicist from the Manhattan Project days (did not work on the project).

The entire book will connect with a bright young person. His discussion of large numbers and infinities is one of the best that I have seen for a young person. He presents the idea of a printing press with all of the alphabet and punctuation characters, and the thought of having it print all of the possible combinations of characters. Why might and editor simply wait and cull out the great works from the output of the press. Every speech made in front of the congress, every love note, every page thrown in the trash by Shakespeare would be there! Why would this be impossible? Gamow also discusses the various flavors of infinity, and even introduces the young reader to complex numbers.

I hope your son finds the fun and fascination of these topics. I think he is lucky to have you as his dad!

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: math&calcs book 4 kids, any suggestions? - lrdheat - 05-09-2017 05:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)