Fun with Numbers: The Pan-Prime-Digit Cube Hypothesis
08-06-2017, 09:47 AM
RE: Fun with Numbers: The Pan-Prime-Digit Cube Hypothesis
To avoid suspense: Horn's Conjecture is WRONG.

After prolonged hesitation & cogitation I decided to join the throng of adepts attempting to solve the question of Joe's conjecture.

First some general observations:

1 The ancient Greeks have very little to say: they were not interested in digits in a positional representation of numbers, they were interested in the properties of numbers;

2 The proof below exceeds the limits of the margin, nevertheless I will publish the complete proof to expose it to the court of my peers, superiors & inferiors;

3 I am not interested in financial gain.

An approach is to convert a problem in multiplicative number theory (structure of x^3) to one of additive number theory (sum of consecutive odd integers).

For integer input N the programme below returns N & a list of consecutive odd integers that sum to n^3:
Code:

::
  CK1&Dispatch
  BINT1
  ::
    %ABSCOERCE
    DUP#0=csedrp
    Z0_
    DUP1LAMBIND
    #1-
    DUPDUP
    #*
    #+
    #1+
    DUP
    1GETLAM
    DUP
    #+
    #+SWAP
    DO
    INDEX@
    FPTR2 ^#>Z
    BINT2
    +LOOP
    1GETLAM
    {}N
    1GETABND
    FPTR2 ^#>Z
    SWAP
  ;
;
However, having considered the bijection of cubes & sums of consecutive odd integers I concluded this was a dead-end.

& similarly hopeless is a proof in the traditional sense, as base 10 representation of a number tells us more about 10 than of the number represented. Number theory speaks of the properties of numbers, eg

3153023022 base 7 is an odd number,

& this remains true if converted to base 10 or any base.

So I arrived at a heuristic proof.

What is the probability of there being exactly one cube, call it H, with decimal digits exclusively 2,3,5,7 & each of these digits appearing in the representation?

Difficult to say, but surely very small.

The probability can be further diminished by adding that Joe found H.

That Joe found H amongst the infinitude of cubes can only indicate that there must be a large number of cubes with the required property.

Indeed, using the maximum likelihood hypothesis, the greatest probability of Joe finding H occurs when there is an infinity of such cubes.

Proving, to all intents & purposes, that there is an infinity of the proposed cubes.

QED
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fun with Numbers: The Pan-Prime-Digit Cube Hypothesis - Gerald H - 08-06-2017 09:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)