The continuing saga of Windows 3.1 in enhanced mode on OmniBook 300
08-08-2017, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 04:07 PM by matthiaspaul.)
RE: The continuing saga of Windows 3.1 in enhanced mode on OmniBook 300
(08-07-2017 12:12 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I'd like to try that, but haven't found a good command line argument reference for QEMM yet.
IIRC all executables have built-in help screens giving you an overview of what's available. I'm not aware of an online reference for this, unfortunately.
(08-07-2017 12:12 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If DR-DOS is more lenient about what its utilities run under, then that might be doable. I know MS-DOS loves throwing "Incorrect MS-DOS Version", so you wouldn't be able to, for example, use DOS 6.22 SYS.COM or FORMAT.COM while running 6.20 in an attempt to upgrade.
Yes, this can be very frustrating. In general, DR-DOS follows the exact opposite philosophy, so that you will get this error message only if there is a technical or other serious reason not to allow this.

Unfortunately for the OB300, TASKMGR and SYS are among those exceptions. The DR-DOS 7.03 SYS 1.52 runs on other DR-DOS versions, but not on foreign DOSes - this was a safety measure to keep users from accidently invoking the "wrong" SYS tool in multi-OS scenarios (in conjunction with LOADER and the SYS /DR:ext option, DR-DOS can be installed onto the same volume in parallel to other OSes including other DR-DOS versions, MS-DOS, PC DOS, OS/2, Windows 9x, NT, etc.), and also because some assumptions made for automatic configuration are only valid on DR-DOS systems.

This does not apply to the newer SYS 1.66 tool, though, which was specially designed to work also on other systems in order to make it easier to set up a DR-DOS system. I just ran some tests and was about to copy some screenshots into an earlier version of this post, when there was a power outage causing a corrupted filesystem - and unfortunately this particular executable is now one of the files lost, so I will have to relocate it on a backup... This may take some while. #-|)

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The continuing saga of Windows 3.1 in enhanced mode on OmniBook 300 - matthiaspaul - 08-08-2017 03:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)