[Off-topic] HP Prime is for students... What about professionals?
08-22-2017, 05:46 AM
RE: [Off-topic] HP Prime is for students... What about professionals?
(08-20-2017 05:28 PM)chromos Wrote:  Occasionally, some users complain here that the HP Prime is aimed at students and that the HP Prime lacks some features for serious professional use. As a response, they are receiving that it was hp's intention. This is something that puzzles me for a long time. After all, students will become professionals one day, right? Which calculator should they use then? Although I'm trying my best, still cannot find the answer.

I found that many of the functions I needed as a student were never encountered in professional life. That said, I'd much rather have those functions on a machine with which I was familiar, and be able to take them onwards. What surprises me is the number of "scientific" calculators that do not contain financial calculations, even the basic N, I, PV, FV, PMT set. But the graphic models seem to have these as an app(lication. Hate that abb(reviation)) so Prime and 50g for instance give those willing to put in the time to learn them useful tools that will help young professionals as they move forward into real life! The beauty of the Prime is its backlit screen, which an old goat can read. Such is not the case with some of the TI (eg 89Ti) models that, however powerful, have dreadful displays. The only other machine that comes close is the Casio CP400, but (argh...no RPN....). Downside - CAS-powered machines are not often allowed in exams, but then again Prime's CAS ability can be disabled into exam mode, which makes it a great all-rounder.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Off-topic] HP Prime is for students... What about professionals? - JimP - 08-22-2017 05:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)