Calculator related magazines / journals
08-26-2017, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 05:55 AM by pier4r.)
Calculator related magazines / journals
While thinking about this thread http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8876.html I also remember that some other "librarians" collected a lot of info from magazines/journals. For example here: http://www.pahhc.org/ppccdrom.htm Librarians are really important in my opinion but are not as rewarded as they should be. We have a Prime today only because countless people in history stored information for the next days/weeks/months/years.

Does any active journal/magazine (in English) about calculators exist? Is the article section in this forum the only thing that is similar to an active magazine/journal ? (I think that the article section has a lot of potential, thanks to Mathjax and the flexibility of the forum code)

I ask this because I realized that in many communities more often than not the best contributions - this depends on the reader level - are produced for collection of articles rather than for online forums. Ex: syadmin communities and LISA proceedings, HP calculators communities and HHC proceedings.
Even if I already observed that the HP communities here and on comp.sys.hp48 have a pretty good signal to noise ratio compared to, say, reddit communities ( /r/math and the like). Going through the general forum (page 71 today!), I found a lot of interesting topics with lengthy explanations, the problem is the time needed to find those instead of having a clear collection already there.

PS: observations about my readings through the general forum (note, I mostly pick RPL topics, math topics or 50g topics)
- Dieter is really nice and stresses often the accuracy (in digits) of devices.
- DavidM is amazing with his lengthy explanations.
- Claudio shows sometimes how the newRPL works in comparison to the original firmware but , more importantly, why the 50g works in that way due to his expertise of the internal behavior of the system.
- Valentin posts a little, but sometimes with very interesting insights (Short and sweet math challenge in particular).
- 3298 and David Hayden sometimes chime in about sysrpl (as well as Joe).
- Joe and Han posts from time to time short but very interesting information.
- Namir is very dedicated in his analyses of this or that topic in programming or numerical analysis. He continues to share even when he gets a little feedback, that is really nice! Not many people go through all those things with little feedback from the community (One thing I wonder, though, if he publishes his works also in journals)
- Tugdual did quite some progress with the 50g and started to post contributions but then he disappeared.
- Erich Reichlin (I remember him for the awesome hpcalc.org) and Egand Ford (I remember him for the guide for hpgcc2) sometimes contribute.
- There is a large crowd of people that is mostly interested in 12, 15 variants, 41, 25, 35, 67 etc... For example I remember Gene Wright for his comparison with the TI SR56, 58 and 50/51 (I may be mistaken) with the equivalent HP models at that time.
- From time to time there is someone complaining about RPN and RPL (and complains that "where is the beautiful basic?").
- Then there is the RPN/RPL flame sometimes. (I'd say that RPL is a superset of RPN in stack capabilities)
- all the others, I am sorry I do not remember you now. I only report those that are impressed in my mind so far. Nevertheless thanks for your contributions!

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calculator related magazines / journals - pier4r - 08-26-2017 05:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)