Calculators (and related mental activities) as hobby or as avocation?
08-26-2017, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 07:04 PM by pier4r.)
Calculators (and related mental activities) as hobby or as avocation?
Since some days I thought: would I call my interest in the 50g (and therefore in math/logic/programming that I foster while using the 50g) my hobby?

I am not a native speaker in English but also in German and Italian "hobby" is "hobby" (there are native words but they are going to be less used AFAIK), so I think the meaning is the same as I think it is.

Well "hobby" sounds like a second class activity. I clarify here: I perceive a hobby not as something "nice to have", like "ok first I bring the bread at home, then if I have time I do this". Rather something on the line "Uh, I do not know what to do, this activity is enjoyable for me and I do it, but it is not really that important for me".

Instead for me, aside from getting an income, doing some activities (like using the 50g, reading history, understand how to plan complex activities better, etc.) is really important. Surely they come later than others (if my daughter doesn't eat, I don't care about the 50g), but after that they have a really high value.*

How is it for you?

* Indeed today I asked on internet how can I define this with a word and I got "avocation". Nice one, I checked the translations in Italian and they are not as good as avocation. Neither they are in German according to dict.cc (Nebenbeschäftigung is more like a second job or minor occupation).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Calculators (and related mental activities) as hobby or as avocation? - pier4r - 08-26-2017 06:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)