Not remotely an HP calculator, but...
09-26-2017, 12:32 PM
RE: Not remotely an HP calculator, but... aka Hoopson PS-12MS voyager style machine
For completeness here are some current consumption measurements.
I was curious to find out how current efficient is this SoC processor.

Setup:
Digital current meter set to read DC Average and Maximum values, inserted in series with a external 3VDC power supply.
Now, I know this is not the correct tool to get a more precise view of the current consumption, as the machine load has a strong RF pulsating current component that would require an oscilloscope or equivalent equipment for this job. But I believe the chosen method is enough to have a rough idea of the average current consumption.

In power off state:
Maximum/Average = 0µA (well, less than 0.1µA which is the current meter resolution)
This will maintain the register memories contents while it is in off sate.

Note: While taking measurements, I noticed that the SoC is not loosing the replay buffer and the display contents if removing the power supply for a minute or so.
In fact I had to use the Reset button to recover from apparent system hang a couple of times. IMHO, this indicates a very high quality, low leakage, semiconductor substrate.
If only the designers had installed a external capacitor to filter/stabilize the battery power supply! This would also allow to change the AA batteries without losing any memory contents.

Power ON:
Maximum = 399µA (During power on)
Average = 16.8µA (at idle, no keys pressing)

Typing keys:
Maximum = 80µA

Doing miscellaneous calculations:
(arithmetic, trigonometric and factorial calculations at a rate of 3 seconds per operation, during 3 minutes)
Maximum = 120µA
Average = 84µA

AC current readings:
Setting the current meter to AC readings, the values observed were around two times higher, which I would say it is normal (but my current reader is bandwidth limited to 100KHz, so it is not really capturing the faster current peaks in the RF region where I believe the processor runs - I had no time to use my oscilloscope to take further readings).

So I would say this is a very efficient SoC design, at least from the point of view of current consumption. The AA battery cells should last for years if they don't leak before that.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not remotely an HP calculator, but... aka Hoopson PS-12MS voyager style machine - jebem - 09-26-2017 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)