HP 41CL: Flash Database Wiki, Manuals
11-15-2017, 02:23 PM
HP 41CL: Flash Database Wiki, Manuals
Now, thanks to Sylvain and Monte, 41CL users can update the flash rom of their CLs relatively easy.
During the last year there has been a lot of new and updated images, and many images have been declared obsolete and were removed. You can find all these changes to the flash database listed chronologically on the 41CL home page. Each entry provides a .zip file containing the rom image only, no additional information, no link to a manual.
In September 2016 Monte set up a HP 41 Wiki page "flash contents documentation".
There for each rom image you can find a link to the corresponding manual ( if available). Now the list is outdated, of course, see above. Unfortunately no one added a single piece of information to this database since it was created by Monte.
Since creation date of the Wiki we had about one hundred (!!) changes ( updates, new images) to the flash database. No joke. I just have counted them. Who really has been able to keep track of that?
If I should update my 41CLs today, I might feel being up to date afterwards and might have got rid of a few bugs, but on the other hand I will face several new images I don't even have an idea what they are all about. I am not going to plug all of them in and try to figure out from which obsolete image they might have been derived. ( One reason for that is that my focus not only is on the HP41, but on several other calculators and computers as well.)
In my opinion even the poorest well documented rom module is worth much more than the best one without any documentation.

Fortunately Monte is so kind and will update the Wiki before the end of the year.
Please regard this thread as an urgent request to assist him, he might not invest time on the Wiki again if there remains such a lack of interest.

Unless something will change, one day we will be proud of having 700+ rom images at our disposal on a V5 board, but many of them being more or less useless, at least for the casual CL user.
I hope Angel is reading here, as many or most of the changes and new images ( sometimes new compilations of known functions, according to Monte) are his contribution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP 41CL: Flash Database Wiki, Manuals - Michael Fehlhammer - 11-15-2017 02:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)