What would your ideal HP calc look like now?
04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: What would your ideal HP calc look like now?
(03-30-2014 09:18 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Got a daskeyboard at work (Cherry blue version - thanks, Boss). Being a technical writer dealing with InDesign and XML, that was easily justified and actually the number of missed characters went down to zero. At home, I can impossibly justify such an investment as the weak points about my Logi K520 just don't matter.

The Das Keyboard is definitely a nice item. At home I use the Rosewill RK9000 with Cherry Blue's right now. At under $100 it was easy to get rid of the the rubber sponge keyboard. I think the replacement model w/blues has LED backlighting so costs a bit more. They still have browns under $100 last I checked.

Quote:Last not least, these inexpensive calculators I wrote about aren't disposables. People used them since decades. And not being upgradeable is actually a plus. Less parts, less failures, less involvement in the technical side of things and a predictive behaviour after becoming familiar with your tool.

If they get decades of use from inexpensive calculators I can see why they would not care about higher quality -- what they have is good enough for them.

As for not upgradeable, I disagree. If they are not upgradeable (with its close corollary, repairable) then they are disposable. A non-upgradeable phone has a much shorter useful life than one where you can add storage, imagine if you could also replace the display with brighter and higher-resolution, add memory and boost the processor speed. Life of the item does not make an item non-disposable be it days or decades, increasing and prolonging utility before end of life does.

To that end I want and I buy upgradeable component computers (even my laptop and mac mini have both had upgrades to memory and storage beyond what the manufacturer offered), upgradeable component audio/video equipment, upgradeable automobiles, I've upgraded my house, etc. I'm eager for a modular phone where I can upgrade more than the O.S. and maybe an sd card before disposing of it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would your ideal HP calc look like now? - sylvandb - 04-05-2014 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)