Is the Prime the fastest calculator ever made?
12-21-2017, 08:48 PM
RE: Is the Prime the fastest calculator ever made?
The CAS code for the Mandelbrot is about 2* slower than the equivalent Home code, and the Home code is a little bit slower than the Numworks micro-Python code despite the fact that the Prime processor is faster. The reason are
* Home is using decimal floats, they are of course slower than CPU binary floats
* I have never optimized the CAS interpreter before, because it's better to optimize built-in commands. If you are writing a CAS program, you do that to take advantage of all the CAS commands, and the running cost of an interesting CAS program is almost certainly in the CAS commands you called, not in the interpretation itself.
For example if you stay with fractals, I have proposed on tiplanet a Newton fractal code using some CAS builtin commands, and nobody proposed an equivalent for the Numworks.
Since these kinds of benchmarks may be misused (despite the fact that a calculator is not really an exciting hardware to run fractals), I have decided to optimize the giac interpreter. It's too late for the beta HP Prime firmware, but you can try some fractals in your browser here
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Prime the fastest calculator ever made? - parisse - 12-21-2017 08:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)