Your favorite math reference book(s)?
12-28-2017, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 06:11 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Your favorite math reference book(s)?
(12-28-2017 04:36 PM)pier4r Wrote:  ...Precalculus with Calculus Previews 6th Edition, Zill, Dewar ... (woah it is 92 euro? How can students afford it?)

When I was studying, we were required to buy Bronstein/Semendjajew: Taschenbuch der Mathematik (= Handbook of Mathematics). Don't know if an English translation exists, the original is in Russian and was translated into German to be used in the German Democratic Republic. From there it found it's way to Western German universities as well because nothing better existed then. The book cost roundabout 50 DM then, my student's appartment cost 200 DM per month. So that book cost about one week's rent. Our son started at university last fall and pays in excess of 500 Euros for his room. With that in mind those 92 Euros for your "Precalculus" can be considered a bargain as it equates only 5 days of renting :-) (and by the way, our son studies law where there are no textbooks which cost only 92 Euros ...)

And regarding the thread, my answer would most probably be the already mentioned "Bronstein".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your favorite math reference book(s)? - Maximilian Hohmann - 12-28-2017 06:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)