Different trig algorithms in CAS and Home?
01-05-2018, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 05:54 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Different trig algorithms in CAS and Home?
(01-04-2018 11:36 PM)chromos Wrote:  No, it's still not answering my question why current calculator (HP Prime) with 32bit ARM9 CPU @400MHz has +/- the same number of significant digits as calculator 40 years old (TI-58/59) with 4bit TMC0501 @200kHz. Maybe my question is badly formulated? Nevertheless thank you for your time you put into your reply.

Because it is not much a matter of cpu rather than ram/registry size and software. If the software is developed to provide only a certain precision in floating point, that's it. Making libraries for expanded precision requires time and likely there is no budget for it. HP is still a "for profit" organization so doing work that no competitor does (see TI, Casio), for few people, it is uneconomical.

I can imagine that every other owner of the prime may say "but I see only 12 digits in 2018, I want to see 2018 digits instead", but practically speaking no one is going to bother after the 3rd digit. Therefore there is no real market incentive to do it. If there would be a market incentive to show more and more digits, be assured that there would be a solution for it.

Indeed on the 50g there is the impressive LongFloat library that does it, but it is not from HP (holy passionate developers). Then there is also the impressive work from Claudio (newRPL, holy passionate developers x2) that may be reused in the Prime if they talk about it.

(is the logfloat valid also for the 48 series? I am not sure being the 48 series a bit different in sysRPL)

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Different trig algorithms in CAS and Home? - pier4r - 01-05-2018 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)