Apollo Guidance Computer kit
02-07-2018, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 05:33 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Apollo Guidance Computer kit
(02-07-2018 05:13 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(02-07-2018 04:51 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I also wonder why they chose an Arduino ...

Thanks Max.

They probably chose Arduino because that is what they have experience with from the Enigma project several years ago.

An Arduino as processor is certainly OK, but why an Arduino nano? That's the smallest one of them all and especially limited regarding memory. There is enough room for an Arduino mega which would add maybe 20$ to the total cost but provides a lot more memory and I/O lines to connect stuff.

Myself, I am not very much interested in an exact replica (which really only makes sense to me when connected to a replica Apollo Guidance Computer and that again needs a spaceship around it...) but rather a DIY calculator resembling an Apollo DSKY. Using a very limited keyboard and "verbs" and "nouns" to interact with the machine and that special three-line output. Which could be used to show the stack of an RPN calculator (it has a key labelled "ENTER"!) or three coordinates of an attached GPS or attitude sensor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Apollo Guidance Computer kit - Maximilian Hohmann - 02-07-2018 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)