HP-67 with some odd good and bad things
03-30-2014, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 09:09 PM by [kby].)
RE: HP-67 with some odd good and bad things
(03-30-2014 04:38 PM)Paul Berger (Canada) Wrote:  I had earlier reported a ROM issue with a 67 in the old forum,

Thanks for your response. I tried looking for your post but couldn't find it in the old forum or the old forum archives (at least archives 17–21; it looks like the earliest you appear in is archive 19). It sounds like what I might have seen posted and I'm just mis-remembering it. I found one response for a -67 card reader by you, but doesn't seem to mention a bad ROM or what it sounds like you wrote above. [Update—I think I found what you were talking about—could have been the one I saw as I was probably looking a -97 things at the time)

Turns out that part of the issue seems to have "fixed itself" somehow while I was finishing up the reader. I switched to the other CPU board I have and it was fine, although it still took some fiddling to get everything working with that, then, when I switched it back (see below for why), everything was fine, at least for that problem. I hadn't actually changed any individual components at this point.

So…everything was working ok, until I discovered that the CPU board that was switched in had the buggy ROMs (inverse trig functions bugs). So I switched back in the one that had previously appeared to have the bad RAM, and at this point keying in programs and stepping through memory seemed fine. And it didn't have the buggy ROMs, either…but it turns out it had a bad card reader controller…got the WP and HDS transition, but didn't ever turn on WE. So I ended up swapping the card reader controller chip (ugh) and things seem copacetic again for now. I know some people would find it interesting to have the buggy ROMs, and I might, too, if i had another machine complete, but for now, I wanted a "debugged" one.

I'd agree there was some liquid damage, although it seemed to be more of sitting and getting flooded from the bottom if so and then maybe turned over. The stains on the keyboard board were on the back (battery) side whereas the keyboard and the plastic overlay under the keys looked untouched.

I'm still interested to know if anyone's seen the black pinch rollers.

And the hpcc forum no longer exists—they refer one to t his forum!

Thanks again for all of the responses so far!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-67 with some odd good and bad things - [kby] - 03-30-2014 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)