Cheapest Scientific Calculator?
02-01-2018, 10:44 PM
RE: Cheapest Scientific Calculator?
(01-29-2018 03:32 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  The calculator forensic shows 8.9999998639 which doesn't match any of the calculators in the list at

Thanks for pointing out this incredibly cheap (and inexpensive) little scientific calculator. I got mine today and have explored it a bit.

I get a slightly different result for the forensic test, of 8.99999986001, which happens to be exactly what the HP-33S and -35S get, though I am confidant this Chinese wonder tool was not based on a clone of either of those machines.

To be clear, my key sequence is 9, SIN, COS, TAN, ATAN*, ACOS*, ASIN*

* done via yellow [2nd F] key followed by the appropriate primary trig key.

One must then subtract 8.999999 and press [F<->E] to switch display to scientific notation to reveal the full precision.

The keys are incredibly tiny (at least for my fingers) rubber dots and labels are hard to read, but this is still a unique value for only $1.00.

Other observations:

1. One is supposed to press [2nd-F] [ON/C] to activate STAT mode. On my sample this key combination does nothing and I see no other way to access STAT mode. Bug? Can anyone else access STAT mode?

2. The 'manual' (1, 2-sided 6" x 8.5" sheet of paper) describes a [<->] key, but the actual keyboard has a [->] key.

3. Complex mode seems to be quite limited and it's use isn't explained in the manual; you can do basic math operations (+, -, /, *) but not other fucntions; e.g. square root [9,9] returns simply 3.00. Still, who expects complex support in a $1 calculator.

Geez, using algebraic machines with tiny rubber keys is difficult....

Thanks again Tom.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cheapest Scientific Calculator? - rprosperi - 02-01-2018 10:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)