Goose Chase - $20 by paypal to the first one who finds and posts here...
02-15-2018, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 12:10 AM by Garth Wilson.)
RE: Goose Chase - $20 by paypal to the first one who finds and posts here...
(02-14-2018 08:53 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  The question has been answered already, but just out of curiosity: Where on this planet is it taught that one puts two spaces after a period? I have never heard of that before nor have I ever knowingly seen it (guess I missed the old thread).

I think the single space came from programmers at MS and other companies who were too young to have taken the normal two years of high-school typing where we learned standard block format, which requires two spaces between sentences. I've heard the most ridiculous, ignorant arguments, like that typewriters' periods were so tiny you had to have an extra space it order to see it. No, they were huge, because you'd hit the period with the same force you'd hit an M or W, and the period had to be big to prevent punching holes in the ribbon and platen. It causes problems though when they only put one space in, especially if the next sentence starts with a word that's capitalized whether it's the first word in a sentence or not (like someone's name), or less often, with one that is not supposed to be capitalized, like referring to certain labels in programming, because the capital might change the meaning. With only one space between sentences, I've sometimes had to go back and re-read something because it didn't make sense the way I saw it the first time.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Again? Or still? - striegel - 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM
One space between sentences - striegel - 02-14-2018, 09:55 PM
RE: Goose Chase - $20 by paypal to the first one who finds and posts here... - Garth Wilson - 02-15-2018 12:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)