Calculators that allow direct operations on data stored on persistent storage?
02-18-2018, 08:40 PM
RE: Calculators that allow direct operations on data stored on persistent storage?
David thanks for the info! Interesting the string approach.

(02-18-2018 07:32 PM)DavidM Wrote:  Is there a possibility of using a different format for the data you are storing that would require less space?

I strongly believe that my space usage on the 50g could be optimized, nonetheless I also wanted to use my "use case" to generalize the requirement. Therefore I asked whether there is a calculator that can offer to the user an almost "transparent" editing of files. Even when those are in the storage; without recalling them in memory, at least not entirely.

For my specific case (that anyway I hope does not hinder the generic question above), the data format should satisfy several requirements given my needs and constraints.

While I may use string, that from your examples are neat, I will need to develop some tooling (that is: helper programs) to convert and use the data if I want to do quick investigations, as packing a string without spaces is normally less readable than a RPL list (at least by my readability standards).
Unfortunately I do not have much time to develop helper routines, otherwise I could try, along with strings, also "paged lists" or some incremental saving of sort. ( they may create an interesting project for later)

For the moment, given several reasons, a list is the solution that fits better my need. If I ever find time, after having done some tasks that are waiting since years, I guess I may do incremental lists keeping most of the data on the SD. (or I may consider string as well)

The original question is nonetheless interesting, because an OS that sees the storage as an "active" filesystem (and not only for archives) would make the life easier to the user that may focus on the data collection and not on the creation of helper routines (that although fun and challenging, require time).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calculators that allow direct operations on data stored on persistent storage? - pier4r - 02-18-2018 08:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)