Why do business calculators have log/exp but not basic trig functions?
02-20-2018, 10:48 AM
RE: Why do business calculators have log/exp but not basic trig functions?
(02-20-2018 08:49 AM)martinot Wrote:  As Gene points out I would like it to preferably also do trig functions.
I would also like it to have RPN as an option (if possible).
It should be possible to buy new from somewhere (even if no longer in production).

I'd be surprised if you found a financial machine that does trig.

The obvious choice is the HP-12C Platinum, which can operate in algebraic or RPN modes. The default is RPN. They can be found new. If "not new" really isn't a deal breaker then you can also find plenty of HP-12C machines in as-good-as-new condition on TAS among other places. I have 2 or 3 of them in pristine condition.

Another option you might like to consider is a full-blown scientific calculator that also has a finance application built in. I'm thinking of the HP Prime here. It'll do some RPN, although it does seem to be a bit of an afterthought and you can only program the Prime in HP-PPL (a Pascal-like language, but damn fast because compiled rather than interpreted) but it is still available new in some places. The finance application was added, I believe, with the latest firmware update released last month.

I can't speak to the other HP machines you mentioned because I have neither one in my collection. I do have examples of the 12C, 12C Platinum and Prime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do business calculators have log/exp but not basic trig functions? - grsbanks - 02-20-2018 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)